The Auxiliary of St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center is an organization of approximately 600 men and women dedicated to serving the needs of St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center. The Auxiliary dates back to the establishment of the hospital and has proudly served the institution through the years.
In 1869, moved by the need to care for those who suffered from the diseases of the time and desiring to extend their aid to the poor, five Sisters of St. Francis purchased a dance hall and saloon on Prospect Hill for $12,000. On May 6 of that year, the sisters opened the doors of St. Joseph's Hospital, then a 15-bed facility with a yearly payroll of $100. It was Syracuse's first hospital.
Along with the city's first hospital came the formation of the first hospital Auxiliary. Mrs. Hannah Pease, a physician's wife, recognized that the sisters needed linens for the hospital. In 1870, Mrs. Pease, along with 45 other dedicated women, formed the Ladies' Aid Society. They met in their homes to sew for the sisters. This group became the nucleus of the Women's Auxiliary, officially formed in 1888. It is now called the Auxiliary of St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center, Inc.
More than a century later, the Auxiliary still exists to benefit St. Joseph’s. The group currently has more than 30 committees and service projects and is directed by a volunteer board. Recent fund-raising efforts have provided the hospital with an annual six-figure donation from the Auxiliary.
The Auxiliary has introduced many services to St. Joseph's over the years including the coffee bar, shopping cart, the gift shop
, baby photo service
, television/telephone rental, and vending machines. The Auxiliary works closely with the hospital's Volunteer Office
, and many Auxiliary members serve as hospital volunteers.
In addition, the Auxiliary's contributions have resulted in the following:
The Sister Wilhelmina Scholarship Fund
This full scholarship is awarded to a student entering St. Joseph's College of Nursing
The Sister Mary Obrist Scholarship Fund
This full tuition scholarship is awarded to a second year Dual Degree Partnership in Nursing (DDPN) student who has maintained a 3.5 grade point average at the end of their first year at Le Moyne College. The recipient must also be the recipient of a Le Moyne College Scholarship to be eligible. For information about the college, please go to St. Joseph's College of Nursing.
The Ellen Needham Pediatric Needs Fund
Established in memory of the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Dwight Needham, the fund provides special equipment, craft supplies, and ambulatory toys to pediatric patients. The Maternal Child Health Center and the Westside Family Health Center also receive books from this fund. The fund is maintained through memorial contributions or special remembrance donations.
The Annual Meeting and Luncheon
The Annual Meeting and Luncheon is a highlight of the year. The annual report is distributed, officers are elected, and the annual gift is presented to the hospital.
The official newsletter keeps members up-to-date with Auxiliary and hospital happenings.
The Book Fair
The book fair is held three times a year.
The Volunteer Luncheon
An annual autumn luncheon honors the hospital staff of 300 volunteers.
Those interested in helping continue the tradition of giving to St. Joseph's Hospital and helping to provide needed services are encouraged to join the Auxiliary. Annual dues are:
$10 annual membership
$250 life membership
Forms 1023 and 990 are available for public inspection upon request, in the auxiliary office. For a copy, call the auxiliary office at 448-6100.
For membership information please contact the Auxiliary Office at 315-448-6100 or www.sjhsyr.org/auxiliary