St. Joseph's is committed to caring for patients
regardless of their ability to pay.
Health care bills can be daunting, especially to those who do not have insurance to pay for them. At St. Joseph’s we understand how confusing medical bills can be and have trained financial counselors who can help you understand your financial responsibility and the payment options available to you.
Our patient financial assistance program helps people who are unable to pay all of their medical bills incurred at St. Joseph’s. St. Josephs’ patients with or without insurance may also set up manageable monthly payment plans payment plans with no cost or added fees or interest.
Patients may also qualify for financial assistance if they do not have health insurance or if their health insurance does not cover all the medical care they need. The financial assistance program may substantially reduce the amount owed to the hospital.
Eligibility for Financial Assistance
A patient’s eligibility for financial assistance is based upon the size of the applicants family and is limited to those families whose income is less than or equal to 300% of the current poverty level income guidelines as determined by the Department of Health and Human Services. Applicants for financial assistance may be screened for Medicaid eligibility by a financial counselor. Income verification for the time frame in which you received services will be needed to determine whether a state sponsored insurance application should be completed.
Our Service Area
St. Joseph’s will extend financial assistance to all eligible patients within our primary service area which includes Onondaga, Cayuga, Cortland, Madison, Oswego, Jefferson, Lewis and St Lawrence Counties. Any patient requiring emergency care may be considered for financial assistance independent of their county or state of residence.
Patient financial assistance funds are utilized for all medically necessary inpatient and outpatient services. Financial assistance does not cover cosmetic services, physician professional services, telephone/tv charges. Patient financial assistance is applied after all insurance coverage has been exhausted or for uninsured self pay patients.
The Application Process
- You may contact a financial counselor at 315-448-5775. Our counselors are here to assist you in any way they can. (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
- You may also download a financial assistance application here. Once completed the application should be mailed to:
St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center
Att: Financial Counseling Unit
301 Prospect Ave
Syracuse, NY 13203
- The application must be completed within 90 days of discharge for inpatient services or 90 days from the date of service for outpatient.
- Once an application is received you will have an additional 30 days to submit the required documentation. If documentation is not submitted within 30 days of the request, the application will be considered withdrawn.
- Financial counseling will review the application and notify you of its decision in writing within 30 days after receipt of completed application. St Joseph’s will determine a sliding fee scale for each service based on the Federal Poverty Guidelines and the patient’s income level.
- Translator services are available to assist with the application process.
- If fraudulent documentation is submitted any financial assistance may be revoked.
- The determination of eligibility is made dependent upon the documentation submitted.
To assist financial counseling in determining the fee-scale amount and eligibility for financial assistance the patient must provide the following documentation:
- Most recent tax return (Federal Tax Return is used to determine family size/adjusted gross income)
- Income from wages (last three months pay stubs), most recent unemployment pay stub; most recent pension and/or social security check
- Patient/family assets, bank accounts, investment statements, investment property
- Medicaid eligibility status (if available)
- If unemployed, examples of necessary documents may include:
Unemployment Award letter
Social Security Award Letter
Disability Award Letter
2013 Federal Poverty Guidelines
St. Joseph's will determine a sliding fee scale for each service based on the Federal Poverty Guidelines and the patient’s income level. Click here
for the details.