At St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center, we offer a Geriatric Fracture Program with a team approach to fracture care.
Older patients with fractures tend to have a wide range of complications and, consequently, a need for a multidisciplinary care approach. Patient outcomes are better when multidisciplinary care can be provided. The multidisciplinary team can offer early preoperative assessment and avoid operative delays. The team’s involvement will improve the patient’s discharge planning and rehabilitation and, therefore, improve the patient’s ability to return to a preinjury quality of life. The co-management of the elderly fracture patient by orthopedists and geriatricians, using a “continuum of care” ensures the best possible patient experience.
The Geriatric Fracture Program is designed to provide improved care to meet the special needs of the geriatric fracture patient. Some benefits of the Fracture Program are:
- Superior medical care using a co-management model comprised of orthopedic and medical experts
- Streamlined admission process
- Screening for osteoporosis and management
- Optimal scheduling of fracture surgery
- Daily evaluation to ensure earlier mobility and faster recovery
- Pain management
- Reduction of adverse events
- Earlier initiation of rehabilitation