PM&R Physical Therapy (P.T.) provides both assessment and treatment of both adults and children upon a signed referral by the attending physician/PA/NP/Podiatrist. Careful evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of each patient identifies problem areas; realistic goals are suggested which the patient has both the desire and the ability to meet; individual therapy plans are developed.
P.T. will coordinate its services, which include patient assessment, intervention, and plan of care, with other medical disciplines including home care. Physical Therapy provides services for various musculoskeletal, cardiopulmonary, and neuromuscular disorders. Patients are referred to Physical Therapy when physical impairments or painful symptomology interfere with or impact on their optimal ability to carry out functional tasks.
Elective joint and hip patients attend Joint Center.
Joint Center consists of group physical therapy sessions twice a day.
Group sessions have a maximum of five patients in attendance at one time with two or three physical therapists and/or physical therapy assistants.
Patients usually attend Joint Center less than twenty-four hours post surgery and only after a physical therapist evaluates the patient in the hospital room at bedside. Once that evaluation is completed, the patient will go to Joint Center twice a day. By the third day, the patient is ready to go home.
Physical therapy is an important component of St. Joseph’s Health in Motion services. We have one goal: to get our patients moving again as quickly and safely as possible. Combining extensive clinical expertise with compassionate, caring treatment, we provide physical therapy well-known for its quality.
- St. Joseph’s outpatient physical therapy patient satifaction scores attained the 99th percentile (100 percent patient satisfaction) in 2007. Since 2003, patient satisfaction scores have been above 95 percent (Press Ganey and Associates).
- Patients rated their physical therapy care and functional outcomes as “excellent” on recent patient surveys.
Physical Therapy Services
Our outpatient physical therapy staff specializes in:
- Assessment and treatment after foot, ankle, shoulder, knee, spine, hip, wrist, hand and elbow surgery
- Advanced management of musculoskeletal problems
- Assessment and treatment of activity-related injuries
- Intervention for sports-related and occupational injuries
- Spinal injuries and spine care educational programs
- Injury prevention on the playing field and in the workplace
- Therapy is performed within the environment of a water-filled pool to enhance exercise and increase safety.
- Our state-of-the-art aquatic equipment features adjustable depth, submerged treadmills, and resistive current flow, and are the only facilities of their kind in Central New York.
- Treatment sessions improve circulation, strength and endurance, balance and coordination, increase range of motion, and protect joins during exercise.
- Aquatic therapy is suitable for surgery recovery; injuries to the neck, shoulder, low back, knee, and ankle; chronic pain; arthritis; fibromyalgia; and neurological disorders.
- Available at our Court Street and Northeast Medical Center locations. Showers and lockers are available.
Presurgical Specialized Consultation
- A focused one-time, one-hour consultation helps our staff develop a physical therapy plan that begins before elective surgical procedures.
- Beginning therapy before surgery improves function, greatly accelerates recovery, and enhances overall mobility.
- Available for joint replacement surgery and lumbar spine procedures.
- The consultation is covered by most insurance companies.
Comprehensive Lymphedema Program
- The LEAP (Lymphedema Education and Prevention) from Stage 0 early intervention program is unique to St. Joseph’s.
- Reduces, delays, or prevents lymphedema symptoms resulting from removal of lymph glands during surgery or damage due to radiation or chemotherapy.
- St. Joseph’s advocates manual lymph drainage and complete decongestive therapy utilizing Vodder techniques, along with education regarding skin care, nutrition, exercise and garment fitting.
- All lymphedema clinical staff are Vodder certified.
- Available at our Northeast Medical Center site.
Individualized Treatment Programs
Our therapists perform a detailed and thorough evaluation to develop an individualized treatment program.
- The same therapist treats patients one-on-one throughout rehabilitation.
- Each patient receives a computer-generated, written exercise program to use at home.
- This comprehensive approach returns patients to the highest level of functioning and independent management of their injury or recovery.
To ensure a coordinated approach to care, patients do need a prescription from their primary care physician or specialist to obtain physical therapy. Although therapy services are covered by most insurance companies, patients are advised to check with their insurer regarding their individual coverage.
Let Us Put You Back In Motion
For more information about how St. Joseph’s Health in Motion team can help put you or a loved one back in motion, call St. Joseph's Resource Line at 315-703-2138 or toll free at 1-888-STJOES1 (1-888-785-6371).