Home | Donate | Careers | Contact Us | Physicians | 1.888.STJOES1
About St. Joseph's
Home - News Media Center - News Releases

St. Joseph’s Receives Grant from CNY Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure for Lymphedema Education and Prevention

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – The Central New York Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® has awarded a $31,399  grant to St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center Foundation to support lymphedema education and prevention.

The grant from Komen for the Cure will support the Lymphedema Education and Prevention from Stage 0 (LEAP from Stage 0) Program at St. Joseph’s Outpatient Physical Therapy. Lymphedema, or blockage of the lymphatic system, is a harmful side effect of breast cancer treatment that can lead to permanent disability if not treated.  Although there is no known cure, prevention, early intervention and management allows most individuals to return to a normal active life

Now in its ninth year of funding from the Komen Foundation, LEAP from Stage 0 program increases community awareness of lymphedema, and provides education and treatment for lymphedema occurring due to breast cancer treatment. In support of this, the program educates medical providers treating lymphedema patients, offering tools to make treatment accessible to their patients.  LEAP from Stage 0 also provides treatment for breast cancer patients including one-on-one pre-surgical classes and baseline measures, bandages and customized garments not normally covered by insurance providers, self-management techniques, rehabilitative exercise, and educational materials and classes.

By helping to raise community awareness of lymphedema, St. Joseph’s is able to increase the likelihood that breast cancer patients will receive lymphedema consultation and care before symptoms arise.  Patients are admitted to the program through a doctor’s referral and then taught self-management techniques that empower patients to resume their previous, pre-surgery levels of activity.

“LEAP from Stage 0 is a program that reflects our mission at St. Joseph’s,” said Megan Hickey, project director for LEAP and director of physical medicine and rehabilitation at St. Joseph’s. “The program, made possible through the generous support of the Central New York Affiliate of Komen, supports our efforts to improve the quality of life for breast cancer survivors through early intervention, education and treatment. So many of these people are among the uninsured and underinsured and this funding helps provide them with medical care and custom garments that they might not otherwise be able to afford.”

About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Central New York Affiliate

Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Central New York Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen CNY Race for the Cure, the Central New York Affiliate has invested more than $5.5 million in community breast cancer programs in its 17-county service area. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the local area. The remaining 25 percent of net proceeds is remitted to the National Susan G. Komen Grants Program, which funds cutting-edge research that seeks to find a cure for breast cancer. For more information, call 315-472-6162 or visit www.komencny.org.

St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center is a non-profit, 431-bed hospital and health care system in Syracuse, New York, providing services to patients in 16 counties in Central New York State. Through prevention programs and the latest diagnostic treatment procedures, St. Joseph's works with patients to achieve optimum long-term health. A 15-time winner of the National Research Corporation Consumer Choice award, St. Joseph’s is affiliated with Franciscan Companies and sponsored by the Sisters of St. Francis.