I am very pleased to share with you that CenterState CEO has named St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center a 2013 Economic Champion! We are pleased to be recognized with this honor and take very seriously our commitment to growing and sustaining the Central New York economy.
Our $220 million investment in our hospital campus has resulted in the creation of 400 long-term construction jobs and 150 new, permanent health care jobs while also retaining more than 3,500 jobs system wide. According to a report by the Hospital Association of New York State, our employees spend their salaries on groceries, clothing, mortgage payments, rent, etc., which generate approximately $454,044,000 in economic activity for our local economy.
What’s more, we’ve leveraged millions of dollars in capital investments in our community through collaborations with community partners, such as Northside UP, Home Headquarters and Housing Visions. These efforts have led to many more people in our community finding affordable housing, jobs and education.
Hospitals are integral to strengthening and supporting social and family infrastructures of local communities that rely on local health care systems to:
• deliver high-quality health care to the communities they serve regardless of ability to pay;
• allocate scarce health care resources strategically when an emergency or disaster strikes;
• bring life into the world;
• care for the aged and provide comfort at the end of life;
• proactively educate the community about the impact of lifestyle choices on their health and well-being; and
• enable communities to be stronger and more productive.
St. Joseph’s is proud to call Central New York home for the past 145 years. We look forward to the next 145 years of providing a higher level of care to our community.