Home | Donate | Careers | Contact Us | Physicians | 1.888.STJOES1
Patients & Visitors
Page Title Background Image


The following information is intended to help you better understand the new Medicare D plans.


Medicare D

  • Things to consider as you examine plans:
  • Cost - premiums, deductibles, co-pays, extra coverage
  • Coverage - which drugs are covered
  • Convenience - pharmacy choices and mail order options
  • Plans are different; they cover many drugs at different costs. Go to the Medicare website or call to compare. New York State offers more than 21 plans

How it works

  • Pay a monthly premium - it varies based on plan you choose
  • Pay a $250 yearly deductible (some plans waive)
  • You pay 25% of your yearly drug costs, and your plan pays the other 75% until you reach $2,250
  • You pay 100% of the costs after $2,250 until you reach $3,600 in out of pocket expenses. Some plans offer coverage for this gap
  • After you spend $3,600 out of pocket you pay 5%, the plan pays the rest
  • It helps to have EPIC or other coverage - they can complement each other